My Year in Career

Dear Students, 

Over the past year I had the opportunity to learn and work with Sacred Heart’s Career and Professional Development department. Over that year I was able to learn so much about the professional world and it was the perfect steppingstone for me to begin my career. Through my position at the Career and Professional Development department, I have learned lessons that have now become the foundational blocks that I can use to build my own professional career with. 

It really pays dividends to know the ins and outs of the recruiting world. From simple elements like what makes a good resume and cover letter to the interviewing skills we all dream of acquiring. Just like anything else that we all strive to do, it just takes time and practice – this is something the office offered me. Every day there was a new task with learning capabilities. Combining all these opportunities together made me an expert on the many things that lead up to and go into creating a successful profession. I think after the hundredth resume I looked at I could now create one in my sleep! With time and practice, I reached the point of being capable of creating a resume without any help – this is a skill that became beneficial for the students I helped, but it is also a skill I am excited to take into the real world with me. 

Despite the skills I learned, the best part was being able to build a relationship with the students I encountered. Being able to sit down and have a real conversation about their past and where they want to go in the future was so rewarding for me. Just last year, I was in a very similar position to these students; so now, being on the other side of it, is very rewarding. Taking the journey with students, from navigating them on how to create a resume ending with an internship offer brought joy to my position and really made the work pay off.  

Advice: To the next GA (Graduate Assistant), be a sponge. There is a lot to the world of recruiting and there are different rules for each industry. Try and take it all in as much as you can and simply just learn. Absorb all there is to this side of the world, not only to better help your students in this position, but to also learn the valuable lessons the world has to offer. 

Best, 

GA Fern out.  

By Fernando Pires
Fernando Pires Career Advising & Recruitment Coordinator