Advance Media New York is looking for an experienced Reporter to cover the state’s emerging cannabis, hemp, and cannabinoid industries. We are looking to build New York Cannabis Insider, a new subscription-based website that will target C-Suite influencers, industry group leaders, lobbyists, politicians and political influencers, legal and security experts, banking and medical experts, and business owners.
This position requires someone who can write and speak fluently about the cannabis space — from plant science, politics and regulatory issues to social justice and economic empowerment concerns — for our new digital weekly trade vertical and our live event audiences.
The ideal candidate has an ability to juggle narratives, break news, write trend and analysis pieces as well as assemble panels of industry experts and moderate monthly live events, whether at a meetup, an all-day multi-panel conference, or a virtual webinar.
The ideal candidate will be adept at using social media to take the pulse of the industry and lead conversations, whether it’s in a closed Facebook Group, a Twitter thread, a LinkedIn networking hangout, or fielding subscriber questions on our text messaging service.
This position will report to and work closely with New York Cannabis Insider’s Editor, setting the content and programming agenda, while also helping to create the weekly product.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Journalism experience: This is not an entry-level position. We’re looking for someone with a proven track-record of being able to break news and report on complex issues.
- Networking abilities: You know or will learn who’s who in the industry and why those key players are important to the audience.
- High standards: You take pride in your work and the importance of timely and accurate reporting.
- Business and policy knowledge: You understand legislative proposals and lobbyist efforts, and how to identify business stories that are most relevant to the New York market.
- Community engagement skills: You should enjoy public speaking, whether it’s conducting a live interview or moderating a discussion at an industry event.
- Bachelors degree in journalism, communications, or related field of study.
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of search engine optimization and practices.
- Knowledge of Albany politics preferred.
- Work with editor to help plan overall focus and coverage of written content and cannabis events.
- File multiple stories and industry roundups each week. Solicit and file weekly guest columns by industry experts.
- Assist with production of weekly newsletter for subscribers.
- Help marketing team plan and host regularly-scheduled cannabis events.
- Use social media and other networking tools to help grow and retain subscribers.
- Attendance at local and out-of-town conferences possible.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
Advance Media New York is a digitally focused news and information company serving Upstate New York. Advance Media New York publishes and operates an extensive portfolio of digital and print products featuring comprehensive in-depth content from Central New York’s largest news organization. Advance Media New York’s flagship brands are syracuse.com, the leading website in Central New York; The Post-Standard newspaper, which has served the Syracuse community since 1829; and NYup.com, the premier site for and about Upstate New York.
Advance Media New York is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.