N.J. Advance Media is looking for an experienced journalist to report on the New Jersey state budget, state pensions, politics and business as the state and nation face a critical test in the post-pandemic economy.
We are seeking a candidate who will develop deep sourcing, has a keen interest in budget, finance and tax issues and a nose for politics. The job requires an understanding of budgets, pensions, investments, business and the economy —as well as the ability to write in a compelling style that explains how complicated issues have a direct impact on New Jersey residents.
As part of NJAM’s Statehouse bureau, the beat includes detailing the annual saga of the state budget process and all the politics behind each spending plan, as well as action taken by the State Legislature. It also includes keeping track of New Jersey’s beleaguered public worker pension system and wider looks at taxes, business and the New Jersey economy, all issues that affect readers’ bottom line.
Coverage will include breaking news, deep analysis and regularly produced beat enterprise.
We’re committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. In this position, you will be part of a dynamic and inclusive team focused on local journalism for one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field required
- A minimum of five years in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required, preferably including experience in budgets, business and politics.
- An ability to cultivate sources in government, business and advocacy groups to keep our coverage ahead of the pack
- Possession of a clear and engaging writing style
- A proven record of breaking news
- An ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience using social media to find stories and promote content
- A demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- A proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- An ability to work collaboratively with editors and fellow reporters
- A willingness to keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.