Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
Fall 2021 Unpaid Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
Please read the entire contents of this posting before apply.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: Non-Profit Management & Administration, Public Policy and Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, Education, and Government Relations
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Monday, September 13th – Friday, December 17th
- Mission Concept: Educate Others and Build Resilient Communities
- Note: In many cases we are unable to support Practicums or Public Health requirements
- COVID-19 Protocols: Our offices are temporarily closed pending return to in person work in October 2021.
This internship is for students who want to be uniquely positioned as a facilitative leader in the community, supporting efforts to build not only more disaster-resilient communities but also stronger and well-connected communities overall. You may work either behind-the-scenes or in the community to build local resilience.
Overview: The Community Relations Department increases awareness of Red Cross programs, activities, and services throughout the Greater New York Region and is the point of contact for all outreach to elected officials in our region. Projects may include:
- Increasing capacity to deliver services and facilitating local resilience-building actions.
- Working to develop strong relationships with federal, state, and local elected officials to increase awareness of our programs.
- Tracking and distributing data to external stakeholders and acting as a Red Cross spokesperson when promoting our programs to external audiences.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship
- Passion for leveraging your knowledge of data visualization and government relations to help develop stronger relationships between our local NYC elected officials and our local Red Cross
- Excellence in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Strong degree of emotional intelligence and/or empathy with ability to work effectively in stressful situations
- Very detail-oriented with strong ability to multi-task
- Willing to perform back-office processes and learn new computer systems/applications
- Maintains confidentiality; works with integrity and ethically
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to Microsoft Teams as a way to work collaboratively while working remotely
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
- Monday to Friday
Safety First! Our need for interns is constant and our guidelines reflect the latest CDC and local-government COVID-19 safety recommendations. While we do not require interns to be vaccinated against COVID-19, we will ask you to report if you are.