SUMMARY OF POSITION
Reporting to the Clinical Supervision Director, the Direct Care Intern will help to maintain our safe home and be a positive presence in the lives of our program participants. This internship is designed to gain exposure to directly caring for the women who are working through their program as they journey from exploitation to liberation. It is a service internship in that the intern is being asked to serve the women in their basic needs (driving them to appointments, being a presence in the safe home to maintain security, etc.). The intern will gain significant experience in what successful and meaningful interaction with traumatized individuals looks like.
- Attend Direct Care Volunteer training and orientation
- Follow all protocols and shift schedules during time in the home
- Be a presence in the home that the women can turn to while staff is not there should something come up
- During a case of emergency within the home, have the sensibility and wisdom to know when to call the staff member on call and the police
- Be available at specific hours each week to offer coverage within the home
- Meet with Clinical Supervision Director on a bi-weekly basis to debrief (if possible)
- Commitment to schedule
- Friendly and willing to love unconditionally
- Valid driver’s license
Working with the Clinical Supervision Director, the Direct Care Intern will fill at least 16 hours of time each week with the possibility of staying overnight in the safe home on a monthly basis. Vacations or time away should be worked out with a Clinical Supervision Director ahead of time.
Semester internships are expected to begin the first week of your semester and finish up the week prior to your finals. Summer internships are expected to begin by the second week of June and finish up in mid-August. We are open to internships extending through multiple semesters.
This is not a paid internship with Amirah.