POSITION PURPOSE: To help student overcome problems that impede learning and to assist them in making education, occupational, and life plans that hold promise for their personal fulfillment as mature and responsible men and women.
- Aids students in course and subject selection.
- Obtains and disseminates occupational information to student and to classes studying occupations.
- Assists students in evaluating their aptitudes and abilities through the interpretation of individual standardized test scores and other pertinent data, and works with students in evolving education and occupation plans in terms of such evaluation.
- Works to discover and develop special abilities of students.
- Works to resolve students’ education handicaps.
- Registers students new to the school and orients them to school procedures and the school’s varied opportunities for learning.
- Helps students evaluate career interests and choices.
- Remains readily available to students so as to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth and self-understanding.
- Works with students on an individual basis in the solution of personal problems related to such problems as home and family relations, health, and emotional adjustment.
- Guides students in their participation in school and community activities.
- Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality.
- Supervises the preparation and processing of college, scholarship, and employment applications.
- Makes recommendations to colleges for admissions and scholarships.
- Provides student information to colleges and potential employers according to provisions of the Board’s policy on student records.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal, Superintendent or other district office administrator as designated by the Superintendent.
- QUALIFICATIONS:Must have a valid South Carolina teaching or be able to obtain one within 60 days from being hired.
- Must have completed a program of study in education from an accredited college or university.