SUBFUNCTION DEFINITION: Assists in many operating room functions, including preparing the patient for surgery, ensuring the sterility of the operating room, operating equipment during surgery, and, in some instances, working as a surgical first assistant.
CAREER LEVEL SUMMARY: Entry-level technical position typically requiring technical education but little to no prior experience in an analytical or scientific method or operational process
Work is routine, directly follows practices, and is often performed with supervision
· Patient Care – Personally accountable for providing patient and employee safety at all times. Identifies and addresses potential patient and employee safety issues. Demonstrates understanding of technical skill required to provide care to patients and families and the ability to perform them with confidence. Demonstrates the ability to make appropriate decisions, prioritize planned and unplanned events and address potential/actual problems. Procedure preparation is focused on cost effective provision of supplies and equipment to facilitate patient care with positive outcomes. Consistently integrates age specific and culturally diverse concepts into patient care, taking into consideration both the patient’s chronological age and developmental functioning.
· Relationship Management – Engages in multidisciplinary team process, actively participating in effective problem solving, collegial learning and pursuit of best practice. Deals with conflicts directly, constructively and tactfully. Promotes an atmosphere of cooperation, respect and trust within the team. Responsive to day-to-day needs of co-workers and division.
· Management Support – Sustain a working understanding of regulatory requirements and accreditation standards. Support leadership in efforts to meet and sustain the regulatory compliance efforts of the department and hospital. Be mindful and judicious in monitoring safety and departmental policies and procedures. Ensure all individual certifications and Safety College requirements are fulfilled in a timely basis. Engages in doctor preference card (DPC) accuracy. Engages in process improvement activities. Actively engages in recycling. Supports activities of shared governance. Demonstrates awareness of clinical research and its value to clinical practice.
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Associate’s degree in related field or equivalent
· No directly related experience when certified or 1 year of exp preferred
· Surgical Technologist certification within one year of hire