Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), a world-renowned scientific research organization, seeks a Finance and Development Coordinator for our Banbury Conference Center. CSHL’s Banbury Center convenes think tank-style meetings for groups of 20 to 30 scientists, and is recognized internationally as being amongst the world’s best discussion workshops for topics in bioscience research and policy. The Center is situated on a 55-acre estate on the north shore of Long Island, with three buildings used as accommodation for meeting guests as well as a fourth building with offices and the conference room. The estate also includes amenities such as a tennis court, pool, and private beach.
Under the supervision of the director, the Banbury Center Finance and Development Coordinator coordinates and executes the daily activities required for the financial operations of the Center, including managing budgets, identifying funding leads, coordinating the Corporate Sponsor Program, and processing reimbursements. The Finance and Development Coordinator also assists with some aspects of the organization of meetings (as tied to meeting finances), and performs routine administrative functions as reasonably requested by the Center director.
Development and Finance
1. Manage administrative and meetings budgets; provide regular updates to director
2. Identify potential funding leads and maintain the existing database of funding opportunities.
3. Maintain complete and accurate digital records of financial operations, including transactions, contacts, Corporate Sponsor Program (CSP) members
4. Prepare and issue invoices to funders and assure timely reconciliations
5. Assure sponsorship and grant funds are used in accordance with contracts/agreements
6. Monitor expenses using Crystal reports and follow-up on inconsistencies
7. Regularly communicate with current and potential CSP members about Program benefits, meetings, outputs and other opportunities
8. Work with director and Finance department on revisions to annual budget
9. Coordinate use of CSP benefits, in collaboration with relevant CSHL departments
10. Assist the director in preparing and issuing grant materials and reporting to funders
1. Issue travel and reimbursement guidance to meeting participants, collate arrival and departure plans, and disseminate travel plan details to relevant members of Banbury staff
2. Coordinate participant travel reimbursement, including collecting and processing submissions for Accounting, liaising with federal agencies as relevant, processing credit card payments
3. Assist with any additional meetings support as needed
1. Assist the director in daily operations of the Center
2. Process Banbury office/director expenses
3. Prepare funding section for the CSHL Annual Report
4. Ensure Banbury database and digital files are accurate and updated
5. Assist with additional administrative support as needed
Position RequirementsEDUCATION: Associates degree is required; bachelor’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 3-5 years in an equivalent position
Excellent attention to detail
Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills
Strong communication and collaboration skills
Ability to multitask
Facility with accounting
Confidence, diplomacy, and tact in dealing with people.
Ability to work independently and exercise good judgement
Ability to deliver at pace, and to meet deadlines
Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
Familiarity with internet-based research is required; experience with Filemaker Pro, or other relational databases) a plus
Interested candidates should apply via the CSHL Careers website at: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/18371
Position Number 01606-A
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities. For more information about CSHL, please visit https://www.cshl.edu.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor