COMMUNICATIONS INTERN – NONPROFIT SMALL BUSINESS SERVICES
The Community Economic Development Fund (CEDF) is a nonprofit organization that helps Connecticut small business owners obtain financing when they can’t get traditional bank loans. We support them with business advice and educational programming. Throughout the state, we help low and moderate individuals start, stabilize and grow small businesses so they may realize their dreams, help their families reach increased financial independence and contribute to the prosperity of their communities.
CEDF is looking for a Communications Intern. The position is a hybrid opportunity working from our Meriden, CT office, but with potential for work done remotely, as feasible.
The Communications Intern will assist the Director of Business Education and Communications with routine departmental work and new project initiatives related to website maintenance, social media, email and print marketing, and educational and marketing content development.
This work will allow the intern to help CEDF improve its mission services to the small business owners we serve, while benefiting from exposure to a wide variety of marketing and communications media, and advancing their skills.
Our educational programming website can be viewed at: WeTeachSuccess.org
HERE’S THE KIND OF WORK YOU’LL DO:
- Provide assistance to the following ongoing educational and communications projects:
- Email campaigns
- Social media campaigns
- Website content creation and deployment
- Webinar planning, continuity, and execution
- Distance learning course creation and maintenance
- Collateral creation and updates
- Research client usage of programming and help develop improvements to increase impact
- Interview and photograph clients for impact stories for company publications.
- Create reports on programming usage.
- Assist CEDF Business Advisors as needed by sharing technical knowledge with clients.
- Provide support at marketing or educational events in the community (e.g. business resource expo, workshops not held at CEDF)
THE PERFECT CANDIDATE WOULD HAVE THESE SKILLS:
- Excellent computer capabilities. (We use a Windows environment.)
- Excellent writing ability
- Experience interviewing subjects and writing articles (Please submit three samples.)
- Photographic skills (video and still)
- Knowledge of web and graphic design principles
- Knowledge of social media best practices
- Knowledge of SEO fundamentals
- Ability to quickly learn new software applications
- Familiarity with WordPress, Constant Contact, Zoom and distance learning software helpful.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to focus and work remotely (work computer will be provided).
- Strong initiative, adaptability; ability to take direction and work independently.
- Strong organizational and researching capability.
- Creativity and flexibility are essential in assuming significant responsibility.
- Experience working in racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities preferred.
- Diplomatic customer service personality.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL EXERTION/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Performs duties in an office environment and remotely.
- Routinely and intermittently exposed to computer screen, and must take periodic breaks from screen.
- Must be able to hear clearly (correctable to within normal limits) to record telephone information and to see (vision correctable to 20/20) to complete applications and forms,
- There is some stress in interacting with staff, clients or the public possible.
- Possible occasional scheduling to accommodate assisting at community events outside 9 to 5 business hours. (rare)
- A valid Connecticut motor vehicle operator’s license (in good standing).
- Occasional in-state travel (Mileage reimbursement will be provided by placement organization — e.g. for client interview assignments).
Duration of the internship is limited to 600 hours. Availability to work a routine number of hours per week preferred, but specifics open to discussion for a well-qualified candidate.