Please use the external application link to submit your application. Any applications submitted on the Handshake platform will not be accepted.
Interested in forging a career in public service and public policy? There is no better way to begin than gaining first-hand experience in legislating in the halls of Congress.
CHCI Congressional Interns gain close exposure to the intricacies of the U.S. legislative process, spending four days each week working on Capitol Hill. Interns are typically placed with a member of Congress who serves a district in their home state.
CHCI interns are trained and entrusted with a wide range of substantive responsibilities, such as:
- Responding to constituent inquiries
- Writing policy briefs to brief Members
- Conducting legislative research on a wide range of critical policy issues, including education, health, foreign affairs, defense, science & technology, and many more
- Attending congressional hearings and policy briefings, including representing Members and staff colleagues
The program balances these real-world experiences with deeper educational dives into the fundamentals of effective leadership and service. On programming days, interns will take part in a robust curriculum centered on CHCI’s four Pillars of Leadership—Civic Engagement, Social Responsibility, Self-Empowerment, and Promoting Community and Hispanic Culture. During these weekly sessions, interns take part in discussions surrounding issues that affect the Latino community and build strong connections and relationships that can help throughout their career.
CHCI’s curriculum is centered around a graduate-level non-credit public policy course taught by The George Washington University Cisneros Hispanic Leadership Institute and Trachtenberg School of Public Policy.
- Attend one-week orientation and weekly leadership development sessions
- Work a minimum of 32 hours a week in congressional office assignment
- Participate in all CHCI-sponsored activities
- Complete community service hours
- Comply with CHCI policies regarding work performance and personal conduct
- $3,750 Stipend (total before taxes)
- Metro Benefit
- Domestic round-trip transportation to Washington, D.C.
- Housing (all expenses covered)
- Health insurance (premium covered by CHCI)
- Leadership training, networking and more
Learn more about our eligibility criteria & program details: Click Here