Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Director, Prospect Management and Research is a member of the Philanthropy team and reports to the Chief Philanthropy Executive (CPE), Advancement Services (AS). The AS team manages and analyzes an extensive donor/prospect database with more than 500,000 constituent and prospect records. AS helps maintain and strengthen the Philanthropy infrastructure while stressing the importance of quality data collection, centralized acknowledgement and gift handling, outstanding prospect management and research, valuable analytics and reporting, innovative software integration, campaign readiness, and database administration and integrity.
- Member of Philanthropy Program Director team
- Plan, implement, and evaluate prospect management and prospect research efforts
- Oversee and execute all aspects of high-functioning prospect management program, including portfolio and prospect review meetings, pool and pipeline analysis, reporting, and forecasting
- Assist with campaign readiness efforts including serving on a Principal Gifts planning team
- Responsible for the management, measurement, and analysis of the movement of prospects through portfolios
- Work collaboratively with a professional research staff. Hire, train, mentor, evaluate, and proactively supervise research team members
- Train Philanthropy on research and prospect management principles
- Build effective relationships with individuals and programs throughout Philanthropy and others who benefit from research information
- Proactively review portfolios with gift officers, their supervisors, and gift officer assistants to ensure prospect movement and solicitation strategy in relationship to capacity and affinity
- Conduct special prospect identification projects – create ad hoc prospect lists, reports, and descriptive analysis
- Work closely with the entire AS program to administer efficient prospect management systems, reports, and processes
- Monitor portions of the AS program budget specific to prospect research, including overseeing subscription testing/vendor relationships, and regularly evaluate paid and free resource tools for accuracy and quality
- Keep abreast of Fred Hutch programs and relevant news and trends through regular meetings with gift officers, event staff, and analytics team
- Review local and national news and keep abreast of prominent Pacific Northwest prospect and philanthropist news, local and regional business developments, and economic trends
- Keep up-to-date on new practices in prospect research, analytics, data mining, campaign planning, and healthcare philanthropy
- Foster communication between AS team, Philanthropy programs, and the Program Director team
- Create and implement procedures including standards for communication, ethics, and confidentiality to all staff
- Effectively communicate the mission, values, and scope of the institution
- Safeguard the confidentiality of donor information
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years of experience in the role of Prospect Researcher, metrics reporting, and data analysis in a Philanthropy/Advancement work environment
- Experience with Prospect Research methodology and practice, including interpreting wealth indicators and synthesizing financial data
- Demonstrated experience working with frontline fundraising teams to create and review portfolios
- Experience with subscription based online search engines including Lexis/Nexis, Wealth Engine, Research Point, RelSci or similar
- Expert writing and editing skills – following Prospect Research formulaic writing templates and style guides
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Promote and encourage a team approach enabling the team to meet goals in a timely manner
- Commitment to professional ethics and confidentiality
- At least seven years of experience in prospect research, metrics reporting, and data analysis in a Philanthropy/Advancement work environment
- Campaign experience
- Trainer/presenter experience
- Supervisory experience
- Raiser’s Edge/RENXT (or other CRM), Smartsheet, Microsoft Excel, and Tableau experience preferred
Please include a cover letter with your application to be considered for this opportunity.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.