The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is an independent not-for-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. For 30 years, IHI has used improvement science to advance and sustain better outcomes in health and health systems across the world. IHI brings awareness of safety and quality to millions, catalyzes learning and the systematic improvement of care, develops solutions to previously intractable challenges, and mobilizes health systems, communities, regions, and nations to reduce harm and deaths. IHI collaborates with a growing community to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. IHI generates optimism, harvests fresh ideas, and supports anyone, anywhere who wants to profoundly change health and health care for the better. Learn more at ihi.org.
As an integral IHI team member working primarily in Brasil, the Project Director reports to the Senior Director leading the work in Portuguese speaking countries. The person is responsible for the successful planning and execution of a portfolio of projects. The Project Director leads the project team, faculty and Improvement Advisors to deliver the most effective and efficient programs, projects, and services to improve health and health care outcomes worldwide.
- Leadership and Relationship Management:
- Lead effective teams to achieve desired results.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with customers, partners, and faculty; negotiate difficult conversations to a desired end while maintaining trust and respect.
- Mentor and develop staff to reach their highest potential.
- Optimize work and projects and programs for overall organizational success.
- Provide thought leadership to one or more of IHI’s content areas.
- Actively promote the diversity of IHI’s faculty and staff by identifying and developing emerging leaders from projects and programs.
- Project Direction and Design:
- Drive project design, including conversations with customers and funders, developing proposals, etc. (in conjunction with Business Development).
- Lead the development of the overall vision and strategy for a project/program.
- Establish clear project goals that can be tracked and summarized over time.
- Lead the timely completion and adaptation of the IHI Five Core Design Components (aim, content theory, measurement strategy, execution theory, dissemination strategy) for Results-focused projects.
- Work with the Project Manager to support project timelines, budgets, and deliverables.
- Design and improve program/project activities, including modifying program/project structures, creating curricula, designing trainings and agendas, and testing new approaches to meet desired goals.
- Lead and facilitate high-level external meetings (virtual and in-person).
- Teach and apply IHI’s core methodology (e.g., improvement science) to accelerate customer/partner results; coach individual teams to maintain pace.
- In collaboration with the Improvement Advisor, review and analyze individual and collective team data and reports and make recommendations in project content and coaching to achieve results.
- Content Development and Dissemination:
- In coordination with functional areas, identify and develop new opportunities for IHI content, programs, or products.
- Develop and execute dissemination plans, including writing blogs, publishing articles with faculty and presenting at conferences.
- Act as a spokesperson and representative for the project/program; present at meetings, external visits, and IHI conferences.
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Portuguese as a first language, plus competence in English. ·
- Project management skills, including being detail-focused and managing towards aggressive timelines.
- Able to maneuver through complex political situations to achieve desired outcomes.
- Ability and skill to drive and achieve quality results within complex, time constrained goals.
- Familiarity with grants and other complex funding arrangements a plus.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written), including superior presentation skills.
- Able to think about whole systems, rather than optimize for one part.
- Create a compelling vision and build motivation with internal and external teams.
- Negotiation, decision making, and delegation skills.
- Able to effectively coach and motivate customer teams and staff.
- Drive to effectively develop self and others.
- Must be an approachable mentor, employee advocate, and team leader.
- Able to actively support, communicate, and teach the unique culture and values of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
- Commitment to IHI Values.
- Commitment to equity, anti-racism, and the improvement of societal systems.
- Bachelor’s degree, Especialista em Melhoria or Improvement Advisor IHI required, advanced degree highly preferred.
- Must have seven to ten years’ experience working in healthcare and within a complex, professional environment.
- Three to five years of experience in healthcare leading teams of professionals preferred.
- Ability to and interest in travel (TBD depending on the project).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required.
- Advanced training and experience with Improvement Science required.
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.