The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is an independent not-for-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. For more than 25 years, IHI has used improvement science to advance and sustain better outcomes in health and health systems across the world. IHI brings awareness of safety and quality to millions, catalyzes learning and the systematic improvement of care, develops solutions to previously intractable challenges, and mobilizes health systems, communities, regions, and nations to reduce harm and deaths. IHI collaborates with a growing community to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. IHI generates optimism, harvests fresh ideas, and supports anyone, anywhere who wants to profoundly change health and health care for the better.
Our people are our most valuable resource. Our growing diverse global organization has over 200 staff in our headquarters in Boston, our office in Ethiopia, and based remotely throughout the United States and across the world. Staff work across many cultures and time zones.
The Senior Manager, Talent is responsible for developing and implementing strategic talent management processes across the organization to retain key talent. The position reports to the VP of Human Resources and has two direct reports (Recruiter and HR Coordinator).
This role will start remotely but will ultimately be based in our Boston, MA office upon reopening in the fall (with some flexibility to work remotely).
- Partner with VP, Human Resources on talent management strategy, and report on statuses, challenges, opportunities, recommendations
- Develop competency framework across all levels of the organization; clarify skill levels, requirements, and decision rights
- Work with staff across the world to identify and deliver training opportunities
- Use best practices, best-in-class resources, and internal expertise to develop and deploy synchronous and asynchronous training content and programs in alignment with competency framework
- Integrate technology solutions, including LMS (Learning Management System), and PMS (Performance Management System) into talent management processes
- Develop and maintain feedback, coaching, and mentoring program; support staff and supervisor coaching needs across all levels
- Oversee work, performance, and development of Recruiter and HR Coordinator
- Collaborate with other HR employees and focus groups to build and administer appreciation and recognition programs and other incentive programs
- Lead key cyclical talent management activities across the organization, including biannual IDP (Individual Development Plan) activities and promotion cycles, incorporating standards of performance and performance evaluation instruments
- Oversee employee orientation, check-in meetings for new employees, and other key cyclical processes for new employees
- Develop, document, and apply standard work
- Assure equity is embedded in all processes (and related metrics tracked)
- Recommend and drive improvements that impact the talent management organization
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and company policies
- Manage talent acquisition and talent management budgets
- Collaborate with other HR employees and key stakeholders across the organization on workforce planning and resourcing initiatives
- Define and develop career path opportunities for staff at all levels
- Partner with VP, HR on staff and leadership development, retention, and succession planning activities
- Responsible for document management and recordkeeping
- Promote IHI brand, mission, and values
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An entrepreneurial mindset, love driving process and taking ownership of the work
- Strong presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to coach and mentor employees at all levels
- Understanding of adult learning principles
- Ability to design and implement full-cycle performance management programs
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative
- Excellent time and project management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Familiarity with laws, regulations, and best practices applicable to talent management
- Strong relationship development and management skills
- Ability to prioritize/reprioritize as needs change
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to approach challenging problems with a global, full company mindset
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Highly energetic, motivated, and resourceful
- Willingness to pitch in when necessary at all task levels
- Ability to focus and produce in a remote environment
- Ability to train other team members and assure HR cross-training is established
- Flexibility to accommodate talent management processes in multiple time zones as needed
- Commitment to IHI Values
- Commitment to equity, anti-racism, and the improvement of societal systems
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least seven years of progressive experience in HR with focus/interest in talent management
- Experience coaching all levels of employees
- Experience designing and managing talent management processes
- Experience using LMS and PMS solutions (IHI currently uses TopClass, Paylocity performance and learning modules, and KnowBe4)
- Must have a passion for IHI’s mission and a mission-driven approach
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP
- Supervisory experience
- Experience delivering training content to global audiences
At IHI, we are inspired to do our best work and be our best selves by leaning into our values and uniting in our vision to create a future in which everyone has the best care and health possible. We ensure that people feel valued and supported in meaningful ways, as demonstrated in our total rewards package that features competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability plans, FSA plans, matching 401k contributions, discounted MBTA passes, tuition reimbursement, a personal development allowance to support what matters to you, a professional development allowance to support continued learning, respect for personal commitments and flexibility to manage them, generous time off including vacation time, Summer Fridays, a paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day, wellness and wellbeing time, and other special programs to support employee wellbeing.
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.