Recreation & Aquatics Coordinator at the Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center in Milwaukee, WI – shared by Jobs That Help as a third party
The Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center (JCC) is seeking an organized, detail oriented team player for the role of Recreation and Aquatics Coordinator. This position is responsible for the scheduling, certifying, and assisting in the training of lifeguards, swim instructors, and recreation staff on the Recreation & Aquatics Team. The Recreation & Aquatics Coordinator will be responsible for gathering staff availability, assisting in creating and sending out staff schedules each season. They will also be responsible for assisting the Director of Recreation & Aquatics with the planning and implementation of continuous lifeguard and swim instructor in-services as well as be responsible for completing American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification and Recertification classes throughout the year. This position will include direct service hours as a lifeguard, swim instructor, recreation staff, and coach based on staffing needs. The typical working hours of the position are Tuesday – Saturday, schedule is subject to change based on aquatics staffing needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather seasonal availability from lifeguards and swim instructors to create the weekly staff schedule
- Send out staff schedule in a timely manner
- Track subs, emergencies, no shows weekly
- Complete new staff orientation including walk through, EAP, sub policies, etc. as needed
- Work directly with Aquatics Manger to identify, find, and provide coverage when scheduling conflicts or emergency situations arise
- Be present on deck during the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program (Tuesday – Saturday) to provide guidance to instructors, and to address any member questions or concerns
- Reconcile adaptive private lessons and update tracker on a weekly basis
- Document pool chemicals & scan in documents on a weekly basis
- Use varied means of communication including in person conversations, e-mails, and phone calls.
- Interact with employees in a sensitive, positive, and professional manner and document all necessary information.
- Understand and use Company Policies and Procedures
- Assume Water Park MOD responsibilities seasonally as needed
- Supervise the Gym (Tuesday-Saturday) as needed
- Assist Recreation Manager with inventory & space maintenance
- Reconcile pickleball packages on a weekly basis
- Assist with camping needs, including staffing programs, during all JCC Day Camp Programs
- Lifeguard, teach swim lessons, coach swim team, teach recreation classes, work scoreboard/stats/leagues between 20-25+ hours/week depending on staffing needs
- Teach a minimum of 4 adaptive private swim lessons/week
- Assist Recreation & Aquatics Manager in planning and implementing of bi-monthly staff in-services
- Assist Aquatics Manager conducting lifeguard evaluations including scan tests and skill sessions
- Assist Aquatics Manager in conducting swim instructor evaluations including observation and feedback, and assessment of proficiency
American Red Cross Certification Courses
- Track current staff certification status
- In cooperation with Aquatics Manager, run a minimum of 6 American Red Cross courses/year for both active staff and prospective employees including but not limited to: American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR/AED/First Aid, CPR/AED/First Aid for the Professional Rescuer, American Red Cross Babysitting
- Assist in completion of seasonal lifeguard re-certification courses as needed
- Assume the First responder position and MOD (Manager on Duty) responsibilities for a minimum of one closing shift/week. Also, a minimum of one federal holiday a year, as needed
- Assume responsibilities as assigned for JCC special events.
- Must actively promote and practice the organization’s Positive Rules of Communication.
- Perform other duties and assume additional responsibilities as needed.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Qualifications — Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements (KSAs)
Possess knowledge of – (will provide training):
- American Red Cross Lifeguard standards
- American Red Cross Learn to Swim lesson curriculum
- Effective staff management
- Staff scheduling
- Staff training development
Demonstrate knowledge of:
- Effective management strategies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to work with young children, parents/guardians, and other faculty
Possess the ability to:
- Follow all JCC policies and procedures
- Be sensitive to cultural differences
- Demonstrate flexibility and enthusiasm in work style
- Create a positive and harmonious workplace
- Effectively manage time
- Understand individual leadership styles and its influence on the well-being of the department staff
- Ability to work as part of a team with other faculty, staff members and the parents/guardians of children in our care
- Promote high standards of teaching and a favorable learning environment for young children
- Resolve conflict effectively and demonstrate maturity as well as the ability to get along with a variety of people
- Give and receive feedback in a respectful manner
- Ensure that an environment which fosters maximum physical, social, cognitive and emotional development of children is developed and maintained
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience required, bachelor’s degree preferred
- American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR/AED, and First Aid required – will train
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor, and Water Safety Instructor preferred – will train
- Minimum of 2 years experience instructing swim lessons and lifeguarding, preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer software: including MS Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook
- Demonstrate proficiency using GOOGLE DOCs
- Demonstrated effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; customer-service orientation with specific strength in diplomacy and discretion strongly preferred.
What do we offer?
Harry & Rose Samson Family JCC offers a challenging, dynamic, multicultural work environment with a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The JCC is committed to a culture that supports work-life balance, and invests in our culture by offering a generous paid time off package to full time employees. These include paid time for vacation, personal or sick days and paid observance of secular and religious holidays. Our benefits package includes Health, Dental and Vision insurance coverage, participation in our defined contribution 403B pension with an Agency contribution, and Group Life and Disability Insurance after one year of service.
Uniquely JCC Benefits
- JCC Membership: Every active staff member receives full JCC membership at no cost, which includes member access to our state-of-the-art fitness and aquatics facilities in Whitefish Bay and summer membership to the JCC Water Park in Mequon.
- JCC Program Discounts: Employees receive significant discounts on virtually all programs offered at the JCC and are actively encouraged to participate in our early education, wellness, camping, cultural, and enrichment programs.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please see the bottom of this page.