APPLY HERE: Application (mariamitchell.org)
Environmental Education Instructor
The Maria Mitchell Association’s Education Department is seeking high-energy, motivated individuals to design and facilitate programs for our Summer Discovery Camp Programs for children 5 – 16 years old.
Live on Nantucket for the summer and inspire a love of science through hands on exploration of the land, sea, and sky!
To learn more information about our program, please visit the Camp Programs page.
Responsibilities and Tasks
• Work with a co-instructor and Education staff to plan and write unique lessons for children ages 5 – 16 years each week
• Design and prepare any needed educational materials to go along with your lessons
• Lead campers in exploration activities such as nature hikes, bird watching, art and nature projects, plant identification, community service projects, insect collecting, kayaking excursions, snorkeling exploration, and more.
• Maintain all educational supplies and equipment by washing and putting away after use.
• Attend all required meetings including end of the summer cleaning (last Saturday). To facilitate this we ask interns to keep their weekday schedule open from 8am-6pm.
• Help in the office to prepare for the next week
• Additional responsibilities may include helping in the main office, leading public or private programs such as birthday parties or snorkeling excursions, and assisting with other facets of the Association’s day-to-day operations
Key Requirements and Qualifications:
• At least 19 years old
• Excited to share their passion for science and nature with children through creative lesson plans
• Confident in leading groups of children in the outdoors, including beach and water environments, in a fun and safe way
• Comfortable working independently, initiating activities, coordinating with co-teachers, and maintaining a positive attitude in challenging situations
• Certified in CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding or are willing to become certified prior to camp (we are able to reimburse a portion of the certification cost)
• We find that interns who get the most out of this experience are flexible, passionate, willing to work hard, and able to live and work well with others.
• The MMA requires all interns to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their arrival on Nantucket.
Preference will be given to applicants that:
• Are at least 21 years of age
• Completed or are currently enrolled in environmental education, natural sciences, or education courses
• Have naturalist skills and/or experience as an environmental educator
• Experience working with children of multiple ages
• Able to commit for the entire summer: June 1 – August 28
• Current driver’s license
Dates of Employment:
- Option 1: June 1 – August 20
- Option 2: June 1 – August 27
- Option 3: June 1- September 3
Compensation: $15.00 per hour. This internship is 30 – 40 hours per week.
Dorm style housing available for $30/week.
Housing is located within walking distance to the town center and is a short bike ride to beautiful beaches, bike and hiking trails, museums, and other great locations. If you live on campus, you will be expected to attend all dorm cleaning days as part of your housing agreement.