Historic House Museum Internship
at the Maria Mitchell Association Summer 2022
The Mitchell House, a historic house museum, is pleased to announce the availability of one internship for the summer of 2022. This is a unique opportunity for those interested in a hands-on experience in the daily activities and running of a historic house museum. The Mitchell House has been a museum since 1903 and is one of the first historic house museums in the United States established to honor a woman. This internship is for those majoring in or who have a career interest in history, art history, museum studies, historic preservation or the conservation and restoration of decorative and fine arts. The Maria Mitchell Association is a non-profit museum that includes a natural science library and archives, natural science museum, three observatories, an astronomy department, and the Mitchell House. Established in 1902, the Maria Mitchell Association honors the legacy of Maria Mitchell, America’s first woman astronomer and Professor of Astronomy and Mathematics at Vassar College. Today, the Association continues Maria Mitchell’s legacy through educational programming, its museums, and research.
· Guided tours of the museum for public
· Teaching children’s history classes
· Participating in conservation and cleaning projects, as well as on-going accessioning program for historic collections
· Developing and facilitating research projects
The ideal candidate will:
· Have at least two years of college experience
· Be a history or art history major or in a related field
· Have an interest or experience in working in museums, with historic collections or related fields
· Have experience working with the public and children and experience providing tours
· Have Child/Infant CPR and Basic First Aid Certifications
The internship pays a stipend, includes housing, and runs from May 26, 2022 to August 27, 2022 with a required arrival date of May 25, 2022 for training and orientation.