Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2020). In the Americas, we’re 13,000 colleagues strong, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. We’re a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
Summer Associate Program Overview
The Risk Management Summer Associate Program at MUFG is designed to help you learn how we maintain a disciplined approach to identifying, assessing, managing, reporting, and mitigating risks.
Our 10-week Summer Associate Program begins in June and is structured to provide graduate students completing 1st year of their program with hands-on experience and business exposure in the world of Risk Management. You will be placed in SFCO focusing on securitization products that allows you to concentrate and develop the skills and knowledge required to become an integral part of the team. You will work alongside MUFG professionals at all levels who will serve as your instructors and mentors. Interns also have the opportunity to attend learning sessions led by Americas Risk Management professionals in all of the Risk Disciplines at the bank. Our program is designed to help you experience what it’s like to work within the risk management organization.
Wholesale Credit Risk Management
Wholesale Credit Risk Management resides within Americas Risk Management, and is responsible for managing credit risk assessment, transaction and counterparty underwriting, and general oversight and management of the Bank’s large and diversified customer portfolios as well as structured finance. This is carried out by approximately 95 employees including Analysts, Credit Officers, and senior management. Credit Officers and management are responsible for analyzing customer and transaction credit quality, underwriting a variety of deals (ranging from general lending facilities to derivative counterparty lines to other bespoke solutions), and monitoring/surveillance of the existing corporate loan, counterparty portfolios and structured finance transactions. The Group is also responsible for continuously monitoring existing customer segments and portfolios using quantitative and qualitative metrics to ensure accuracy and timeliness of credit risk ratings. The Group is organized into a series of industry verticals and includes specialists focused on sponsors/LBOs, project finance, securitization as well as special assets/workouts. Analysts and Credit Officers are well-versed in fundamental credit analysis, including quantitative elements such as financial statement analysis and modeling, but are also responsible for conducting thorough credit reviews, taking into account qualitative aspects. The Group offers many opportunities to enhance sector-specific knowledge as well as to become well-rounded in overall banking and credit functions.
Structured Finance Credit Office (Securitization Credit team)
Structured Finance Credit Office (Securitization Credit team) is responsible for the implementation of the credit risk underwriting/management function for Structured Finance and Asset Securitization, providing recommendations to the credit authority. Incumbents monitor and manage the credit exposure within portfolios and individual transactions, continually review counterparty creditworthiness.
Support & Guidance
Your assigned mentor/manager will provide goals and professional development guidance and conduct performance reviews as a commitment to our Summer Associates. You will also have the opportunity to network with employees across different business groups and at all levels of the organization. In our open and inclusive environment, senior colleagues will know who you are and will see the work you do. You will leave with a better understanding of the world of risk management.
At the end of the program, the opportunity exists to receive an offer for full time employment upon graduation. This offer may be within another area of risk management than your internship assignment.
1. Structured Finance Credit Office (Securitization Credit)
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program with an anticipated graduation date between December 2022 – June 2023
- 3.0 GPA or higher preferred
- Good knowledge of all elements of credit and risk principles
- Previous extensive working experience in financial institutions, preferably 3+ years in credit and risk related function
- 2 or more years of Structured Finance or Asset Securitization experience/knowledge, including cashflow analysis
- Good knowledge of legal and compliance regulations pertinent to lending
- Strong knowledge covering accounting rules, regulation and finance
- Degree in Mathematics, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Financial Engineering, or other quantitative discipline
- Must have analytics skill/experience with a focus on gathering, cleansing, understanding, and presenting data in a meaningful manner; must be able to analyze trends/data and generate meaningful reports
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly and independently; interpret data, draw conclusions, and present findings effectively
- Detailed oriented, with a strong work ethic and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate and build & manage relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Microsoft Suite proficiency (Word, PowerPoint); Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Effective collaborator with strong communication skills, curious and eager to learn
- US work authorization
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it’s the bank’s policy to only inquire into a candidate’s criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.