If you are an Electrical Engineer, Computer Engineer or Software Engineer with a strong interest in electrical system design, support and troubleshooting and desire a career opportunity working in one of the most prestigious programs in the world – supporting the U.S. Navy, consider applying today!
The Naval Nuclear Laboratory [NNL] is a mission-driven organization. In this entry-level position, you will have the opportunity to work in one of the NNL organizations responsible for the development and testing of reactor instrumentation and control [I&C] applications for nuclear powered aircraft carriers and submarines. The successful candidate will work in a team environment and apply their electrical/computer/software engineering knowledge towards activities that support shipboard I&C propulsion systems.
Depending on the candidate’s selected position, typical responsibilities may include:
- Software development for reactor I&C applications
- Software architecture development of embedded control systems and associated components
- Development and performance of testing to qualify I&C applications for use
- Development and support of in-house tools used to aid in the software development and testing process
- Development and support of in-house software application, test systems and infrastructure used to support software, system and component testing
Through the diversity in job opportunities and collective expertise of the NNL Electrical Community. engineers will continue gaining technical skills and broaden their experience throughout their careers while tackling exciting and challenging assignments.
As a national asset, NNL provides employees with excellent pay and benefits as well as excellent work-life balance and employment stability.
Required Skills *
Educational Skills Required:
- Associate career level: BS degree in Electrical, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or an engineering or science related discipline from an accredited college or university
- Intermediate career level: BS degree in Electrical, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or an engineering or science related discipline from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or MS degree in Electrical, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or an engineering or science related discipline from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one year of relevant experience
Technical Skills Required:
Specific coursework and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: Microprocessor-based equipment, control systems, embedded systems, hardware/software development, power electronics, motor development
- Strong Academic performance – GPA 3.2 or above
- Demonstrated proficiency in 1 or more programming languages with an emphasis on object-oriented languages including: Java, C++ or Python
- Academic, Co-Op or Intern experience in one or more of the following areas:Software architecture/application development for embedded systems
- System, Hardware and/or Software testing of embedded systems
- Embedded system development using system development boards (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.)
- Experience in developing control applications using System on a Chip (SoC) development components
- Experience in developing control applications using Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) technology and System Verilog or VHDL programming tools
- Experience in developing control or test systems using commercial tools and applications for data acquisition, control and testing ( Programable Logic Controllers, National Instruments, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to plan, initiate and accomplish work on individual assignments or as part of a small team
- Experience working in a team environment with team members and stakeholders in related technical disciplines
- Demonstrated leadership skills in a significant academic or social endeavor
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; with specific experience in writing and presenting technical reports and engineering evaluations
- Previous experience in an NNL-sponsored Design Project
- Strong drive to gain new skills as needed, including interest in modern technologies and processes applicable to software development and testing