The internship program at the Permanent Observer Mission of the Sovereign Order of Malta to the United Nations in New York provides the opportunity for bright, Catholic, college graduates or graduate students to gain invaluable experience assisting the work of the Order of Malta in its multilateral humanitarian work at the UN, seeking to bring the light of Catholic Social Teaching to the debates of the international community. Interns receive a special orientation on the history of the diplomatic work of the Order at the United Nations, attend the wide variety of UN meetings, conferences and debates, file reports to be sent to the Order’s central offices in Rome, assist in running the Mission’s many conferences, regularly attend receptions and cultural events held by the Order and other Missions, and many other activities.
Internship Cycles and Numbers
There are three internship cycles each year, Fall, Spring and Summer. It is possible for an intern to remain for more than one, doing a half-year or year-long internship, but with the number of applications the Mission has been receiving, and the desire to give capable applicants the chance, it is becoming rarer that applicants will be accepted to more than one session. The Fall Session extends from the beginning of September through just before Christmas; the Spring Session begins on Monday of the second week of January and extends the end of May; the Summer Session runs from June I through the end of August. An orientation and training program is given at the beginning of each cycle. One or two internships are offered for any given session.
At this moment we are seeking to identify potential interns for June 2021 (Summer) start and a September 2021 (fall) start. We normally accept a maximum of two interns per cycle.
The Application process involves sending a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and two letters of recommendations (one from a teacher or academic advisor, the second from a person who can attest to the candidate’s commitment to humanitarian issues) to arrive at Internship Program, Permanent Observer Mission of the Sovereign Order of Malta to the United Nations, 216 East 47th Street, Suite 8, New York, NY 10017. A PDF copy of the mailed application should also be sent by to firstname.lastname@example.org with ” Internship Application” listed in the subject
line. Applicants are encouraged to get in their applications well before the deadline. After applications have been received and evaluated, certain applicants may be invited to submit an essay on one of the themes in debate at the UN as the second stage of the process. After that, interviews may be scheduled via Zoom/Skype or, for those in the New York area, in person as the third stage.
The Sovereign Order of Malta is a Roman Catholic religious order which is also a sovereign state under international law. In its 900 year history the Order has focused on providing support and help to the sick and the poor. This is still our mission, and we currently operate health and related humanitarian facilities in over 120 countries and maintain diplomatic relations with 110 countries, including Permanent Observer status at the United Nations in New York, Geneva, Vienna and Nairobi. Because of the nature of the work of the Sovereign Order of Malta at the United Nations, interns must be familiar with, and sympathetic to, Catholic Social Teaching and in the values the Church seeks to convey before the international community; have graduated from university or be enrolled in a graduate program (undergraduates enrolled in programs may apply for the internship program, but preference will be given to graduates); be fluent in English and, if possible, in one or more of the six official UN languages; be a good, clear and precise writer, capable of analytic and synthetic thought and sound research in libraries and via the internet; and have the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team. The maximal age to be eligible for the internship is 35 (at the beginning of the internship).
Interns normally work Monday through Friday 9 am to 6 pm. There are occasional nighttime events, as well as, once or twice a year, the need to assist in covering sessions when the UN is meeting on weekends
Fellowships, Housing, and Meals
Interns are responsible for making their own housing arrangements, covering their initial travel to and from New York, and other expenses, with the exception of a per diem allowance of $100 per week to cover local public transportation and meals.
Further Inquiries and questions
Those with questions not answered here are invited to direct their inquiry to the Ambassador at the email address provided in this document.
Internship Application Checklist
1. Cover Letter
- Briefly explain your background, how you came to find out about the internship program and why you would be interested in serving as an intern for the Sovereign Order of Malta’s Permanent Observer Mission to the UN.
- State clearly the Session(s) you are interested in applying for (Fall, Spring, or Summer)..
- Describe your field of study and any particular qualifications you have for the work of the Order of Malta at the United Nations.
- Mention the source of your understanding of Catholic Social Teaching.
2. Curriculum Vitae
- A standard curriculum vitae detailing your academic, work and volunteer history, special skills, languages and other competencies will suffice.
- Please make sure all of your contact information – mailing address, cell phone, email, Skype and social media accounts – is included.
- A recommendation from a College Professor, Academic Advisor, or the equivalent who can speak about your academic qualifications.
- A recommendation from a religious or civic leader who can attest to your character and to your involvement in charity work, or non-profit activity.
- If there are particular circumstances making the providing of either of these recommendations particularly difficult, please explain the situation in your cover letter.
4. Submit your application
- You may apply directly through Handshake and a PDF copy of the application pack should also be sent to email@example.com with ” Internship Application” listed in the subject line.
- Alternatively, the application pack can be mail to: Internship Program, Permanent Observer Mission of the Sovereign Order of Malta to the United Nations, 216 East 47th Street, Suite 8, New York, NY 10017. (USA).
- For information about the Order and its international humanitarian work please access our web page: www.orderofrnalta.int and www.orderofmalta.global