Location: Coastal Connecticut based in Westbrook, CT
Job Type: Internship (with Stipend)
Job Description: Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge – part of the National Wildlife Refuge System – spans 70 miles of Connecticut’s coast from Westbrook to Greenwich. The Refuge is looking for a qualified individual to be our 2021 Biological Assistant. This person will assist the refuge wildlife biologist with several projects including (but not limited to) conducting acoustic surveys for bats, carrying out bird surveys, and mapping/ controlling invasive plant species.
Duties include but are not limited to
· mapping invasive plant species on mainland and islands,
· setting up/taking down bat detectors,
· using ESRI collector for a variety of surveys,
· assisting with invasive plant control,
· working with volunteers,
· assisting with fencing/signage,
· and talking with/educating the public.
· previous experience with invasive plant control/mapping, bat surveys, fieldwork, data collection, and wildlife identification is preferred.
· ability to work in teams and independently
· valid U.S. license and willingness to drive a Refuge vehicle (including large trucks)
· willingness work in inclement weather conditions such as high muggy heat, deal with lots of biting insects and poison ivy, be physically fit enough to walk miles on beaches in the sun and carry fence/sign posts.
· able to work with the public of all ages in a professional manner
Stipend: $210.00/week will be provided for the 13 week internship.
This intern position is funded through a Youth Engagement, Education, and Employment Program of the U.S. Department of the Interior. Applicants must be US. Citizens 18-30 years of age (or up to 35 if a U.S. veteran).
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, no housing will be provided.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with preference given to those received by January 8th, and a final deadline on February 19th. Send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least 3 references (must include email and phone number) via email to: Kristina_Vagos@fws.gov. In the subject line, please enter “Biological Assistant” and the first letter of your first name followed by your full last name. All application material should be titled similarly. Please do not send applications by mail.