Title: Manager, Events & Marketing
Details: Full-time, Salaried
Start Date: October 15, 2021
Reports to: Vice President, Events
Location: Boston, MA / Remote
The Basketball Tournament (TBT) is a 64-team, single-elimination, winner-take-all event for a million dollars that airs live on ESPN each Summer. 2022 will mark its ninth year. TBT has experienced exponential growth since inception, growing from one game streaming online in 2014 to 33 games across ESPN & ESPN2 in 2021. In the process, it has revolutionized the sport of basketball by launching the Elam Ending® and presenting a unique, intense, authentic form of basketball evidenced in its widely copied bracket celebrations and open to anyone format. In 2020, TBT was notably the first indoor sporting event to play in the United States during the COVID-19 pandemic, after successfully devising a rigorous health & safety protocol. It has also attracted best in class partners like Puma, Zelle, E&J Brandy and the Air Force, and counts Chris Paul among its investors.
We are excited to tackle a plethora of growth opportunities for the event by expanding our team.
This position is a dual role, supporting both the Events team and Marketing team. Reporting to the Events Team, the position will serve as the liaison between the two teams and will be responsible for planning, oversight, and execution of various initiatives within both teams. This position requires someone with previous event execution experience who can handle complex logistics, relationship development with venues and local partners, is personable, and has a strong work ethic founded in the excitement to be a part of a growing sports property.
· As a member of the full-time TBT staff, you will contribute to the overarching strategic development of TBT as a whole, including format, fan engagement, teams experience, and more
· Ticketing, merchandise, and fan experience lead across all TBT events
o Facilitate ticket launch for all venues including organizing ticket options, seat charts, pricing, and marketing plans
o Oversee the public presentation of ticketing options to ensure accurate messaging and a seamless buying experience
o Monitor ticket sales and update TBT’s internal team to help guide decision-making
o Manage merchandise planning, purchasing, and sales execution through strategic online and in-venue partnerships
o Respond to questions from fans and teams regarding tickets and merchandise
· Regional event lead for two assigned Regionals
o Work closely with Regional host partners to ensure the successful execution of set-up, staffing, signage, security, ticketing, sponsorship activation and more
o Develop rapport with host partners and deliver on event execution through a firm understanding of their values and hosting goals
o Conduct site visits and regular planning meetings to track progress and ensure key deadlines are met
o Attend regional events and support with onsite execution
o Accurately and efficiently manage expenses / stay within budget
· Additional marketing responsibilities
o Develop marketing concepts to support ticketing and merchandise initiatives
o Gather, upload, and organize purchaser data in CRM database
o Write copy for and execute email campaigns through CRM database
o Help oversee partner marketing calendars and track progress
o Plan and coordinate additional marketing initiatives unique to TBT
The ideal candidate for this role would be thoughtful, hard-working, personable, and passionate about creating something new:
· Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in events and/or marketing
· Related experience planning or running an event, especially one that demands a heavy logistics load
· Possess a team mindset but can also work independently
· Strong writing and communication skills
· Extreme attention to detail, including experience maintaining a budget
· Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
· Personable and comfortable building and maintaining strong working relationships
· Ability to balance multiple projects (events) at once and stay on target / meet all deadlines
· Ability to travel for 4-5 weeks per year
· Experience executing marketing campaigns or paid social campaigns
The compensation will include base salary commensurate with the role and the market, as well as healthcare benefits.
To apply, please email George Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.