Job ID: CES-0301-051-Chemistry/Physics
PT Adjunct Faculty
The University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering and Science invites applications for multiple part-time adjunct instructor positions in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Technical Writing.
The successful candidate will be an effective and enthusiastic teacher at the undergraduate level with commitment to supporting a diverse population of undergraduate students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(1) Implement effective teaching strategies that foster active student learning while creating an inclusive, respectful, supportive, and welcoming learning environment for all students.
(2) Be committed to engaging a variety of strategies to support student success. Be available to provide support and assistance to students outside of class. Treat each student respectfully and supportively.
(3) Provide students a course syllabus consistent with University and Department guidelines that provides clear expectations to students, particularly regarding grading and course policies.
(4) Review University/College policies and guideline with Asst. Dean and Chair and adhere to these.
(5) Bring any incidents of Academic Integrity to the attention of the Asst. Dean.
(6) Grade and return written work to students in a timely manner. Maintain appropriate records of students’ assessments. Submit mid-term and final grades by the scheduled deadlines.
(7) Refer at-risk students to Asst. Dean and appropriate University support services.
(8) Notify the Asst. Dean and Chair as soon as possible if by an unavoidable circumstance you are unable to meet scheduled class session.
(9) All other duties as assigned.
A minimum of a master’s degree in a relevant discipline is required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Materials should include a curriculum vitae or resume, a one page statement of personal teaching philosophy and experience. Review of applications begins immediately and continues as needed.
The small classes and close collegial relationships make teaching in Detroit Mercy’s College of Engineering and Sciences both exciting and rewarding. The faculty forms a vibrant community of teaching scholars with a strong focus on professional and academic mentorship of students both formally and informally, both in class and out of class. The US News and World Report ranked Detroit Mercy in the top tier in the Midwest and first in Michigan in the category of Masters Comprehensive Universities.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University’s urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.