Under general supervision of the Marketing & Communications (MarCom) AVP and team members, the Web & Social Media Communications Specialist writes, edits and develops communication materials for Detroit Mercy’s electronic communications, websites, multi-media projects including video and other web, content and digital assignments as needed. The staff member also works to post social media updates, refresh information, aid in social media management and campaigns with MarCom staff. Works in collaboration with Marketing, other administrative departments, ITS and academic departments to develop e-mail communications to internal and external audiences and to assist MarCom team leaders in developing web pages/sites for departments and colleges/schools. Assists in developing interactive and information services as well as online publications, advertising and materials. Tracks effectiveness of electronic communications and website and assists with social media campaigns and opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(1) Under the supervision of MarCom AVP and team members, writes, edits and develops a variety of online communication projects for Detroit Mercy’s website, including content and formatting for online communications such as a weekly internal bulletin, online newsletters and frequent e-communications including email.
(2) Works with internal University clients to identify and assess online communication needs for web updates and writing content.
(3) Updates website content and maintains website Calendar of Events. Monitors accuracy of website pages, which includes coordinating with University staff, updating and checking links, site testing for multiple browsers and helping transition to future designs. Also monitors compliance with policies and design standards.
(4) Participates in strategic short- and long-term planning in collaboration with Marketing & Communications, Alumni Relations, ITS, Enrollment and academic departments. Assists in implementation of web content and design.
(5) Tracks monthly effectiveness of website visits and response to electronic communications in conjunction with promotional activities or other special projects.
(6) Assists in managing all social media, coordinate content development in conjunction with MarCom, helps in training departments/colleges/staff in other areas of university in social media strategy and development in conjunction with approved MarCom guidelines and style.
(7) Assists in managing student co-ops and interns assigned to photography and social media coverage.
(8) Coordinates and schedules all freelance photography and videography for MarCom.
(9) Assists with general department tasks as needed. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
(10) Assists senior graphic design manager with University brand management and identity creation/enhancement/approvals for other colleges and departments.
(11) All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, digital media/graphic arts or related field with 3-5 years of experience in communications and web content and site development.
- Strong graphic layout design skills for print environments, electronic environments and strong web design skills.
- Experience with common office software, including Microsoft Word and Excel as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with social media campaigns, strategy development and management.
- Photographic and videography skills for shoots, editing, calibration of imagery and video.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Experience creating Adobe Flash animation/multimedia a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills.
- Design skills required for web page layout, graphics, etc.
- Strong time–management skills with ability to manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Familiarity with Cascade content management system.
- Proficiency with software programs for web development, including Web page code editor and graphic and photo creation and editing software (Photoshop), as well as experience with Illustrator.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or similar very helpful; familiarity with Mac platforms helpful. Note that department uses Mac.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings
Commensurate with experience
Monday – Friday. 8:30am – 5:00pm with evenings and weekends as necessary