A Note from the GA

My name is Elizabeth Kilmer, and I am the current graduate assistant in the Center for Career and Professional Development!

A little background: I recently graduated from Merrimack College on a three-year track with a degree in business administration concentrating in hospitality management and marketing minoring in communications and media.

During my undergrad I worked two on campus jobs, one in the office of student involvement and the other in the advising and career center in the Girard School of Business. I also was involved heavily in Women in Business, DECA, Hospitality and Tourism Club, my sorority Theta Phi Alpha and Panhellenic Council.

Jump to present day: I am pursuing my Master of Business Administration concentrating in digital marketing here at Sacred Heart and I could not be more excited!

I started my journey at SHU about 2 weeks ago now and I have gotten to hear so much about why students love this university so much, it is very clear that everyone here is proud to be a pioneer.
As a graduate assistant I have had the opportunity to hear the staff in the Center for Career and Professional Development talk about their passion for this school and for the students here. They truly want what is best for every single student and work to ensure that they are providing the best experience they can.

College is a time in our lives where we are constantly being told to make the most of it and working to figure out what we are going to do for the rest of our lives, which is a terrifying thought. I remember my first year on campus stressing out so badly that I didn’t know what to major in or get involved in to push me towards a career I wanted.

With classes starting and that stress setting in, here are some tips that helped me to calm down:

• Don’t compare your version of making the most of college to anyone else’s version
    • College is a time to find yourself and you are not the same person as your roommate, your classmate, your sorority sister, your parents, anyone. Do what makes YOU happy.
  • Push yourself to go out of your comfort zone a little bit
    • There are TONS of clubs, try out any of them that seem interesting!
    • Go to the hosted activities to meet new people
  • Take the time to get to know the people who are here to help you
    • There’s an abundance of professors, advisors, friends, faculty, that want what’s best for you and are doing everything in their power to help you reach your fullest potential. Form relationships with them!
    • All the resources you need as a student are at your fingertips, utilize them!
  • Practice balance
    • College is supposed to be fun, so go out and have fun! But higher education is a privilege, so knowing when to stay in and study will only help later.

Best of luck this school year! Stop in to see the Center for Career and Professional Development and hear more about what we can do for you!

By Career & Professional Development
Career & Professional Development