We are excited that you have chosen Sacred Heart University to pursue your education. The Center for Career & Professional Development has many new initiatives and resources to help you transition to the civilian workforce. There are many employers who are looking for candidates just like you! Along with our targeted programming and career fairs, we also have a career advisor to assisting you throughout your professional endeavors!
The Center for Career & Professional Development is here to help you with:
Center for Career & Professional Development Services
The Center for Career & Professional Development assists the veteran population with:
- Marketing military experience to the civilian job market
- Utilize self-assessment and identify transferable skills to identify applicable career path
- Identifying veteran friendly organizations, specifically those who typically tend to hire this population such as Enterprise, Travelers, Northwestern Mutual, Northwell Health etc.
- Assist with the Job & Internship Search process including Resume & Cover Letter Reviews, Mock Interviews, Professional Etiquette, Attire, LinkedIn Development and Negotiation
Typical qualities as described by employers of veterans:
- Proven Leadership/Leadership readiness
- Mission Focused – goal oriented
- Team Players who are used to working with a diverse team
- Accelerated learning curve / quick learners / Immediate Contributor
- Exceptional Work Ethic
- Works well under pressure
Additional attributes include:
- Technical Skills– military experience exposes individuals to advanced technology and technical training
- Change management –ability to accurately evaluate an environment and having a systematic approach to dealing with the transition or transformation of the environment and implement strategies for change, controlling change and assisting others to adapt to change
- Loyalty – military institutions are adept at institutional socialization and as a result there is a strong linkage
- Diversity – veterans are skilled at operating across cultural and international boundaries.
Veteran's Guide to Job Hunting in the Civilian Market
This guide will provide veterans with essential insights to help you navigate the transition to the civilian job market and land a meaningful career.